What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization improves the quality and quantity of a website. This increases the website’s visibility and ranking higher on search engines when people discover content online and drive more traffic. Let’s first learn how search engines work.
How do search engines work?
🔍 Discovering: Search engines create programs on robots known as crawlers or spiders. These robots crawl the web to discover web pages or sites.
📈 Analyzing: When a page or website is first discovered the robots analyze the content. Then it determines what the page is about and for what topics it should rank.
🗂️ Indexing: Each page is cataloged and added into a massive database known as an index. This helps search engines to quickly reference the data at any time and return matching results.
💻 Returning: When a user performs a search query, search engines determine the most relevant result matching the user’s query. Search engines rank them according to the authority of the website.
Search engine algorithms
Finding what you need on the internet would be impossible without having someone to sort it out for the users. Search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo use algorithms to sort out billions of web pages to provide useful and relevant results in a fraction of a second for a particular search query.
Search engines use algorithms to determine:
- Web page ranking.
- Quality of a website.
- The theme of a website.
- What types of queries the website should show up for in search results.
Now let’s discuss 10 SEO best practices to improve your website ranking.
SEO Best practices
- High-quality content: Create content that is well written and readable to the users. Make the content compelling and useful. Take time to research the topic or area the content is based. Make sure it communicates its purpose well to both users and search engines.
- Visibility on search: Inappropriate coding and SEO techniques can negatively impact the website’s ranking. Presenting different information to crawlers and users is known as cloaking because it can result in penalties for your website.
- Clear hierarchy: Have a clear hierarchy that helps users immediately understand how it can meet their needs and improve user experience. Having a proper website structure makes it easier for the robots to crawl the page and analyze the site.
- Target keyword research: Create content that matches the right search intent to increase your site’s ranking on search results.
- Write unique meta titles and meta descriptions: Create metadata that makes people click on the particular page just by reading the title and the short summary.
- Optimize all images: Name images with descriptive file names and use image alt text to let search engines know what your image is about. In addition, compressing images and lazy loading are techniques that will help to reduce page loading time.
- Optimize page loading speed: Analyze your website page performance regularly and optimize the page loading speed to avoid frustrated users.
- Use internal links: This helps crawlers identify and navigate through the pages to understand your website and boost your google ranking.
- Build backlinks: Gaining authoritative backlinks to your website shows that your content offers value to users and sends a positive signal to search engines.
- User experience and accessibility: Provide a user-friendly design with engaging content and give prominence to mobile usability since google uses mobile-first indexing.
Check out my article on ‘Absolute Beginner’s Guide to HTML‘ to learn the basics of how a website works. Happy reading! 😀